Could you volunteer to support Auchengillan?
17th February 2012
Calling all ‘outdoor’ types, people with time on their hands, students, retired gentlefolk(!) etc ,etc!
OK, you get the idea. We are looking for anyone who can give us a hand dealing with the following:
- Over 100 trees that have been blown over in the storms – we need to get them cut up and moved into the wood stores.
- Clearing blocked drainage ditches – many have become silted up over the years, resulting in flooded areas in woodlands, resulting in the above!
- Cutting back rhododendrons or ‘rhody bashing’ as it is known!
- Thinning out our newest plantations to allow the bigger trees to survive and flourish.
- Overhauling our pioneering timber, ropes and stores.
- Painting fences round the swimming pool and various other areas.
- Cutting grass in the ‘growing’ season.
- And a hundred other ‘odd jobs’ around the centre.
None of these require a regular commitment (although always welcome!), and offers of an odd day or two here and there would be very gratefully received.
We are also looking for people over the age of 18 years to get involved in our active support unit (service team), giving a more regular commitment and getting involved in activities, site maintenance, badgework, shop work, bigger projects and so on. We will supply training where required, accommodation during duty periods and will even supply food at these times! (OK, you may have to cook it yourself, but your cooking can’t be any worse than some of our volunteers!)
If you feel you are able to contribute towards ‘our centre’ and don’t mind getting your hands dirty, we’d love to hear from you.
Andy and Claire.