Night Hike: Old Kilpatrick Hills - Postponed
4th December 2010
The night hike will run from 2pm - 8pm.
All walks subject to change depending on weather, numbers and leader availability.
Leaders need to contact Jim Elliott to notify him of numbers the week before the walk. This is so that they can ensure they've got enough qualified leaders. There will be some flexibility after this but if you've haven't told them the week before that you're coming then they can't guarantee you'll get a place(s).
Letting them know in advance is particularly important this year as (in response to feedback) there will a high and low level walk on offer so the team need to ensure that they have enough qualified leaders to meet the relevant scout and MLTB ratios for each walk (to make planning easy for you we've already given you the programme for the full year so you know the dates and locations planned).
Scout leaders (whether attending the walk or not) need to ensure that their scouts are properly prepared including:
- Please remember that you need to ensure that you have the relevant medical and permission forms for each young person and these need to be brought on the hill (so best to be in a waterproof covering). They will be stricter about this and anyone without the relevant forms will not be able to attend. We ask that you provide Jim with a copy of these forms in advance of the walk.
- Please also ensure that your Scouts/Explorers have the correct equipment and know that they've got it (there have been a few people whose parents packed their bags for them so were unaware of the kit they had until it was too late!) If you or your young peopl need to borrow kit or need advice on what to take please get in touch.
- Please make sure everyone has plenty of lunch, munchies and water (approx. 2litres is necessary per person - a wee 330ml juice isn't enough!).
If anyone has any questions about this please get in touch.
The hills team can also provide:
- Additional walks for specific groups or sections.
- Advice on walks in the Clyde area or across Scotland.
- Training for adults and young people e.g. navigation, wild camping, use of equipment, safety in the hills etc.
- Equipment loan (waterproof jackets, trousers, compasses, maps etc)
- · Scout Adventurous Activity permit training and assessment, and assessment for all walking related activity badges (participation in the above programme can assist towards permits and badges as well)
For further details or to stay up to date on the hillwalking group activities join the hills mailing list by contacting Jim Elliott on 07814 137 046 or firstname.lastname@example.org